What is now commonly known as Ngai Tukairangi Trust was established in the late 1970’s under the Maori Affairs Act 1953.
The Trust was formed from a number of Maori owned land blocks based in Matapihi including:
Puwhariki 2, Te Ngaio 2, Tumatanui 3B2, Tumatanui 3A, Oruamatua 2A2B, Oruamatua 2B2, Otuawahia 1 and Otuawahia 3B.
The original number of shareholders was approximately 200 in 1979 which has grown to over 1470 in 2014.
The owners had a strong desire to remain living and working on ancestral land.
The land was developed with the assistance of the Department of Maori Affairs from 1980 which had a range of crops including maize, sweet corn, prince melons and buttercup squash. In December 1981 the first kiwifruit nursery was established and the first kiwifruit vines planted in 1982.
The Maori Affairs Department and later the Iwi Transition Agency managed the orchard up until 1992. In April of that year the management of the trust was returned to shareholders. Since that time the Trust has employed Trustees and a management team to manage the orchard.